Fall back into running

 


I've had this draft started for a long time, but I just have not been able to find the time or focus for an update. I'm going to push through a quick post now to hopefully build up some momentum for writing again!

The good news is that after taking the entire month of September off, I have slowly been getting back into a running routine. I was immediately reminded of how much I enjoy it and all the benefits I reap from even a short, quick jog, both physically and mentally. The fall is also my most favorite time to lace up and head out, because of the perfect weather and the nostalgia of the cross country seasons in high school.

I don't have any current race goals at this point. I am focusing on slowly – very slowly – increasing my weekly mileage. Right now I walk for a quarter mile to warm up, run for 2 miles, and then walk for another quarter mile to cool down. I do that three times a week, and on the other days I do yoga, strength training, and physical therapy exercises. I am feeling great, but I definitely lost fitness during my break and need to continue with a gradual ramp-up.

I did not do the Golden Gate Half Marathon as I was hoping earlier this month, and my bucket-list half marathon in Iceland has been postponed as well. I am not dwelling on this, though, as I have the long game in mind and trust that I'll have many cool races ahead of me. 

With Thanksgiving coming tomorrow, I would be remiss not to acknowledge how thankful I am to be able to run, and to have a strong team (family, friends, my coach, physical therapist, etc.) that I can rely on for encouragement and advice along the path.

Comments