Reflections on Recovery

If I was thinking that maybe I could have/should have pushed myself a little harder during the last 6 miles of the marathon to improve my finish time, the recovery period has argued otherwise. While intense muscle soreness and stiffness is to be expected – it's necessary for all marathoners to take some time off before easing back into running – I am too close to injury for comfort. I could hardly walk for two days and was not able to put full weight on my left side, which is weaker than my right. We are now 9 days post race and my left hip, ITB, and knee are still not happy. I have taken two short and very easy jogs in the past couple of days, and I have to struggle not to limp and favor my left side. I'm confident that a little more time along with strengthening exercises will help me avoid any serious problems, I am comfortable in my decision not to override common sense during the marathon and push myself to the point of true injury.

From an emotional standpoint, I have for the most part worked through my disappointment in my performance. While I can't say that I am proud of how I ran the race, I am proud of myself for being brave enough to take on the challenge and for all the hard work I put into 20 weeks of training. I was watching the Olympics on TV the other day when I heard the announcer say that sometimes what the person has overcome is more impressive than the actual accomplishment. In looking back on where I was two years ago to where I am now, with all of the training hours and miles and sweat and tears and persistence in overcoming injuries while balancing the needs of my family, I can relate to that on a smaller level. This experience has definitely changed me, and I can embrace that.

My plan moving forward is to spend the next 6 months running for fun with a few low-pressure races thrown in. My next one is the Golden Gate Half Marathon in November, when a couple of friends and I will head down to San Francisco and make a girls' weekend out of it. At that point I will need to decide if I want to train for the Jack & Jill marathon at the end of July 2022. By then I will have a much stronger base as a runner – nearly double what I had this year – and I left myself quite a bit of room to earn a PR (personal record) on the course if I want to try again. We'll see.

On a lighter note, I planned a short getaway to Cannon Beach, Ore., with my husband for the weekend after a marathon, and it was the perfect way to cap off the experience. I could relax and disconnect mentally and physically, celebrate my accomplishment and not have to worry about the kids, the dogs, the house, or a training schedule.

I also made an incredible discovery as I searched for things to do: The Goonies was filmed in Astoria and Cannon Beach! I was thrilled and horrified – how had I lived in the PNW for nearly 14 years and not known about this?! As a child of the 1980s, I don't know exactly how I would be different had Mikey and his friends not embarked on their adventure to find pirate treasure and save their family's homes, but I know I would be. And not for the better.

On our way down to our hotel in Cannon Beach, my husband dutifully stopped in Astoria at all the addresses I had written down. His embarrassment was palpable as I squealed and snapped pictures, but in my defense, there was a steady stream of people doing the exact same thing. ON A RANDOM THURSDAY NIGHT more than 31 years after the movie was released. Obviously these sites have incredible cultural significance and I am not the one who should be embarrassed here.

The "Goon Docks"

Mikey and Brand's House

Jail break scene

Fratelli's getaway car


The Flavel House

Not only did we get to visit sites from The Goonies, but Kindergarten Cop was filmed in Astoria as well! Recognize the elementary school? It's a stone's throw from Mikey's house.

"IT'S NOT A TOOMAH!"

Then we finished our trek down to Cannon Beach, which is gorgeous in its own right in addition to being home to scenes in The Goonies, Kindergarten Cop, and Point Break. Our first hike was the Clatsop Loop at Ecola State Park.





Our second hike was a short but rather treacherous trail down to Crescent Beach, after first appreciating the site of the restaurant where the Fratelli's had their hideout. Sadly it's just a picnic shelter now, as the restaurant was built for the movie and torn down afterward.









In addition to hiking and giddily bragging texting my entire contact list at each film location, I had plenty of time to relax, read, and walk on the beach as the sun went down.




Our last morning was my first jog post-marathon. The beach was misty and moody and stunning, the perfect atmosphere to help distract me from the protests of my reluctant legs.



It was a great weekend and I hope to go back again, perhaps with the kids and dogs as well. I was so distracted by soaking in all of The Goonies spots that I didn't pay much attention to all of the Lewis and Clark signs peppering the area. I have since discovered that their expedition, called the Corps of Discovery, finally reached the Pacific Ocean in Seaside, Ore., which is less than 9 miles north of Cannon Beach. Coincidentally, my husband and I had to take a side trip to the outlet mall in Seaside shortly after we arrived when he realized he forgot to pack underwear. What was at the time mildly annoying (the traffic was unreasonably horrendous on the way there) now turned out to be a fortuitous full-circle moment for us. After we got married, we lived in St. Charles, Mo., for five years – which happens to be the city where Lewis and Clark launched their Corp of Discovery down the Missouri River. They are widely celebrated there, and we even joked about naming our twin boys after them. And here we are all these years later at the end point of their journey west, with a 5-pack of Hanes boxer-briefs as a souvenir, no less. My husband and I are currently watching Lewis & Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery on Amazon, and I will definitely insist we stop at Fort Clatsop next time. Fair warning if you are on my contact list.

Comments