Reflections on Week #3


One of my favorite books as a child was "The Monster at the End of this Book" (starring lovable, furry old Grover). As the reader turns each page, Grover grows increasingly panicked that they are nearing the monster ostensibly waiting at the end of the book. 

As I sit at my computer to write the recap of my third – THIRD – week of marathon training, I am beginning to feel sympathetic to Grover's plight. With the end of each week, my own monster gets closer and closer, and there is absolutely nothing I can do to halt the approach. A part of me is very excited of course, as I did choose this particular monster (and plunk down money for it too!), but still the thought of running more in one day than I have run in an entire week makes me want to build a brick wall to stop the pages from turning and slow the passage of time. Grover had a pleasant surprise at the end of his book (no spoilers!) and I can only hope that I will as well.

I can happily report, however, that week 3 was a good one. Whenever you are building significant mileage, it's wise to have a "recovery" or "step-back" week every couple of weeks where you don't run quite as much. This allows your body to rest a bit and helps prevent injury. This past week was a recovery week for me, and it felt so wonderful! My long run yesterday was only 5 miles, and while the knot in my calf muscle is still niggling at me, it felt nearly effortless. It was a great reminder that I truly do love running.

The week ahead will be a busy one, with Saturday's workout being a 9-mile run. Getting close to those double-digit distances again! I hope I can take care of myself enough during the week in preparation. Deep breaths... I can do this.

Mileage for week 2: 15.5 miles

Total mileage: 48.5 miles

Days until marathon: 119 days

Comments