Favorite Things Friday - Sunscreen

There are a few things I never skimp on: supportive running shoes, name-brand orange juice, and skincare products. The cardinal rule of skincare is, of course, to always use SPF. In the summer, in the winter, in the morning, in the sun, in the rain, when it's cloudy... if you leave your house at all, you need SPF. Around 80% of the appearance of aging on your skin is due to the sun rays, and that's before we even talk about the risk of skin cancer!

Since picking up running again about a year and a half ago, I faced a new challenge (pardon the pun) with my SPF: finding a formula that stays put through sweat and does not sting my eyes. I decided to try Elta MD after reading raves in a magazine, and I was not disappointed!

The UV Sport formula goes on easily, does not turn my face chalky white, and doesn't sting my eyes as I sweat. An absolute dream! I also buy the lightly tinted UV Physical version to wear when I'm not running, as it gently helps even out my skin tone. I can wear it alone or layer under make-up.

It's not cheap, but it lasts a long time and earns its price tag in performance. I purchase Elta MD through Dermstore, where I have set an auto-replenishment schedule that includes a 15% discount. No matter what the weather or time of year, I apply a layer of this sunscreen before I start my warm-up.

(Side note: My favorite skincare guru is Caroline Hirons, and if you could use some of her invaluable wisdom, I highly recommend her book Skincare: The Ultimate No-Nonsense Guide.)

Comments