Recovery Update: 4 Weeks Later

 I don't have good news to share about my recovery, unfortunately. It's been four weeks since I ran the marathon, and I still have not been able to return to running without pain. Unlike after the half-marathon last summer when my pain was centralized on my left calf/shin, I currently have pains in various places on both legs (including hips, knees, quads) that flair up in turn. I don't have a good handle on what the problem is or why it's not going away. I have been walking plus doing gentle exercises and yoga, avoiding any that cause pain, and I have done short indoor bike sessions two or three times. Nothing strenuous!

I made an appointment with my physical therapist, and I'll see the sports medicine doctor as well if I need to. This is putting my plan to run in the Golden Gate Half Marathon in jeopardy, but due to the Delta variant of covid spreading rapidly, I'm not confident the event will happen as planned anyway. I have overcome my share of injuries already, and with my major goal behind me now, I don't feel too much panic about resolving this quickly. But I do really miss running and hope to be back at it soon.

And speaking of recovery, we rented a "chalet" outside of Leavenworth, Wash., for a week to escape our house for the first time since the pandemic locked us down. A change of scenery was long overdue, and since we left the boys' computers at home, I got to see their faces more than I have in quite a while. It was wonderful!

The view from the deck. The dogs LOVED to run around!


Float trip down the Wenatchee River

Since we got back from Leavenworth, I've been busy getting the boys ready for their first full day of in-person school in 526 days. (Next time I complain about packing school lunches, feel free to remind me of this.) Since I can't spend it running, I have been funneling my energy in battling the rampant disorganization and junk accumulation in the house, roaming through each room armed with a giant garbage bag and an unsentimental determination to purge our lives of excess stuff. My approach is mostly Swedish Death Cleaning with a bit of Marie Kondo sprinkled on top. It's going well so far, but you should avoid me for the next few weeks if you don't want to become the recipient of clothes, games, toys, or other items that no longer serve this house but would be just perfect in yours.

Comments