Reflections on Week #2

 

My ritual post-long-run treat: PB + Banana Protein power smoothie
and Sweet Belgian Waffle from Jamba 

TEN PERCENT. How can I be this far into the training program when I feel like I just started yesterday? The past two weeks have gone by so quickly that I am afraid I'll blink and find myself at the starting line of the race before I am ready. I much prefer to think that I still have 90% left of the training ahead of me. Yes, that's much better.

The second week went better than the first, I am happy to report. I had more energy, my workouts were stronger, and I had less pain. That being said, I am still concerned with the lingering tightness and soreness of my left calf – it's the main concern that keeps me from confident in my ability to see this goal through. I have many miles (and then more miles) to go, and this issue has been plaguing me for far too long. I saw my physical therapist again, and he asked if I would like to try "cupping." I had always dismissed cupping as trendy woo woo, but being both desperate enough for relief and curious that he suggested it, I gave it a go.

I'll be honest, the cupping hurt. Like hell. Not necessarily on its own – I don't think cupping therapy has to feel like a starving octopus is trying to slurp out your meaty insides. But due to my existing muscle sensitivity, I was biting back swear words for several minutes. That being said, I was more than willing to grit my teeth and bear it just in case it helps untangle that calf. It's a bit early to tell how much good it did, but I do think it had a positive impact as I felt good during my 7-mile run the next morning. I would definitely do it again in my own home where I could let loose a proper stream of obscenities without fear of offending any octogenarians doing balance exercises nearby and being banned from the premises. Who has the time to navigate their insurance network and get a referral for a new medical provider? Not I.

I have so much more to talk about, but it's growing late. One of my big focus areas for marathon training is sleep (along with hydration, fuel, and shopping for cute functional running clothes). So I will close here and say that I am doing well, feeling strong, and (so far) very glad to be here.

Mileage for week 2: 17 miles

Total mileage: 33 miles

Days until marathon: 126 days

Comments