Reflections on Week #6

 

Daily yoga session with my crew

It was a step-back week for mileage per my training schedule, but in a couple of other important areas of my life, it was a step forward.

It's been 13 months since our district closed all school buildings, and my kids finally returned to the classroom for hybrid learning. While I was not looking forward to upending the routine we had settled into, especially with only two months left in the school year, my boys have absolutely come to life now that they are able to see their friends in person again. And even though it's only half-days, I am reveling in these few hours of quiet!

Also after a year of anticipating the day, I received my first dose of the coronavirus vaccine. The injection site is still a bit painful and I did have a headache afterward, but it's a relief to imagine a time when covid is not the central concern every single day.

On the training front, I am happy to say that not only did I not get lost while running on any mountains this past week, the district finally has unlocked the gates to the high school track down the street from our house. I had a long run of 7 miles on Saturday, and I was able to do my normal short route from home plus 9 times around the track to add enough distance. Best of all, I felt strong. After running 7 miles a year ago, I collapsed on the rug in our front room and growled at informed my family that I would not be moving nor speaking to anyone until the following day. This time I got home, stretched, showered, and went about my business as if it were no big deal. How gratifying to feel the benefits of training.

Looking ahead, I have a 12-mile run this Saturday followed by my second-ever half marathon the next weekend. It's been 10 months since my first half, and a lot has happened between now and then. The course is less hilly and my friend Heather is running as well, so I am anticipating a better experience overall. I also have a much different perspective this year, which I hope to be able to blog more about soon. But for now, I must go pick my boys up from school. (Woo hoo!)

Mileage for week 6: 18 miles

Total mileage: 105.5 miles

Days until marathon: 95 days

Comments