Favorite Things Friday - Stroopwafels

Boon Stroopwafels are worth every mile that I run to justify eating them.

On paper, the stroopwafel sounds so delicious to me. As Britannica.com describes them:

Stroopwafel, (Dutch: “syrup waffle”) a popular Dutch treat similar to a cookie, featuring two thin wafflelike wafers with a sweet filling. Stroopwafel was first made in Gouda, Netherlands, possibly in the late 18th century. The batter—which is typically made from flourmilk, eggs, butter, brown sugar, and yeast—is rolled into balls and pressed in a waffle iron. Once hot and crisp, the thin waffle is cut in half and spread with a sweet caramel-like stroop (“syrup”), which holds the two sides together. Freshly made stroopwafel is a common street food in the Netherlands, while packaged versions have grown popular around the world.

What's not to love about that?! In reality, though, they never live up to my expectations. The first bite isn't bad, the second is meh... and I rarely get to a third.

To take a step back for a moment, my favorite energy gel for long runs is made by a company aptly named GU. When I read in Runner's World that GU had created a line of "everyday" products called Boon, I was drawn in by the amazing flavors. The almond butter comes in cinnamon spice, espresso bean, sweet ginger, and chai spice. Absolutely dreamy on hearty bread! But the stroopwafels (cinnamon spice, sweet ginger, and vanilla cardamom) are so yummy that I had to rethink my entire stance on the things. I still only take three bites, but that's because I have devoured the entire cookie.

GU markets the Boon stroopwafels as "good food for our daily lives," and that is exactly how often I eat them – daily. I reorder the multipack whenever I get low, and I told the kids that they are made only for runners, so unless they want to hit the trail with me before school, it's hands off. That may be a lie, but it's a white lie that protects all parties involved, so my conscience is clear.

So whether you are a fan of stroopwafels or just wish you were, I highly recommend any of the three flavors. (And grab some almond butter while you're at it. Mmmmm.)

Comments