Reflections on Week #8

Snohomish Women's Run Half Marathon
These moo cows made me so happy!

Today I ran my second-ever half marathon, driving up to Everett at 6:30 am with a friend for the Women's Run. While it was a better experience for me in many ways, it didn't go quite as smoothly for me as I had hoped.

First, the results –

Finish time: 2:19:07 (3 minutes faster than my first half marathon)

Pace: 10:37

Race place: 139 out of 252

Gender place: 133 out of 244

Women ages 40-49 place: 32 out of 72

Overall it was a solid middle-of-the-pack finish, and I can't complain about that!

I can't complain about the weather either, it was an ideal day for a race. It was a flat course out-and-back along the Snohomish River; the views were gorgeous. During the first 8-9 miles of the race, I was feeling strong, relaxed, and content as I listened to my music and breathed in the raw morning air. For a long while I was running near a women in her 60s – there were many in the race, and quite fast – and I was so inspired. Micro-goals are all well and good, but she reminded me that it's the macro-goal that I am truly chasing: taking care of myself physically and mentally so I can do the activities I enjoy for as long as I still enjoy them. (She beat me in the end, by the way.)

The last few miles were tough, and even though I expected that, it didn't make it any easier. It was much harder for me to maintain my form as I began to tire out, and the last 3 miles of the course were on an unpleasantly winding and bumpy path after 10 miles of wide open solid road. I also developed knee pain thanks to a tight IT band, and my new shorts that I hoped to wear during my marathon in July did not past the test. (chafing = ouch!)

When I got home, my husband remarked how much better I was doing than after my first half marathon. My coach is super pleased with my race and my strong finish (pace-wise if not mentally strong). I know that I have improved a lot since last June and I am trying to stay focused on that, but I admit the first thing I want to do is pick apart the things I did wrong. Shame on me! Luckily I have a wonderful support team that constantly challenges me on those negative thinking patterns.

Oh, I also can't recap the week without mentioning the amazing massage I received from Katherine Hardin on Thursday morning. She is a miracle worker, my calf muscles felt phenomenally better after she worked her magic on them! I have already booked her before my future races (and maybe a time or two in between) because she was absolutely key to my happy calf muscles this morning.

The week ahead is a step-back/recovery week that culminates in a 10-mile run on Saturday. Looking forward to a bit of a rest!

Mileage for week 8: 25.1 miles

Total mileage: 154.6 miles

Days until marathon: 82 days

Comments