Reflections on Week #19

 

Sarah Marie Design Studio

Warning: Grumpy post ahead! This has been my least favorite week of training so far (injuries notwithstanding). I was looking forward to carrying a lighter load after so many exhausting weeks of mileage build-up, but it turns out that it's quite common to experience the "taper blues." It does not help that I feel overwhelmed with our summer calendar (packed with what feels like hundreds of doctor check-ups, dental cleanings, orthodontist visits, allergy shots, hair cuts, dog grooming, music lessons, animation camp, and flag football) and our 15-year-old pooch is struggling with a relentless GI issue that is just... well, shitty. But while running is usually an enjoyable escape for me, even these shorter distances feel like a chore.

On one hand, I am ready to be done with the training phase and get on to the big event. But on the other hand, when I think about how close I am to actually stepping up to the line to run 26.2 miles, a wave of nausea washes over me. Logically, I am comfortable with my preparation and I don't have any regrets at this point. I did miss a 16-mile run due to ITB syndrome, and I certainly could have eaten better along the way. But I did the best I could under the circumstances each week, and it's better to under-train than over-train for a race anyway. One of the training books said it's perfectly acceptable to get to the end of your first marathon and think to yourself that you could have gone faster – that's just a reason to run another one in the future. I am holding on tight to the advice that first marathons are for fun and for finishing, that's it. Only about 0.5% of the US population has run a marathon, and I don't want any unrealistic expectations on my part to take away from what I will have accomplished.

So this is it, T-minus 7 days. In one week from this moment, I hopefully will have just finished the race, completely drained and limping off to find a place to sit down, and very likely crying.

I can't wait.


Mileage for week 19: 21 miles

Total mileage: 475.7 miles

Days until marathon: 7 days

Comments